Ever see this meaningless string of characters online? You were probably confused. So were we. That’s why we did the research:
What does “qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm” mean?
According to Urban Dictionary, “when your supposed to be doing your homework or something productive and you’re bored, so you type all the letters on the keyboard.”
Over On YouTube
When you type this long string of characters into YouTube, you get a bunch of videos, including this clip from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm ./
- poiuytrewqlkjhgfdsamnbvcxz qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- poiuytrewqlkjhgfdsamnbvcxz qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
- qwertyuiopasdfghjkl zxcvbn
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm mnbvcxz lkjhgfdsa poiuytrewq
- asdfghjklqwertyuiopzxcvbnm asdfghjkl qwertyuiop zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm mnbvcxz lkjhgfdsa poiuytrewq
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl xcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfgghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnnm
- qwertyuioasdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxccvbnm
- qwertyuioop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuip asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvvbnm
- qqwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuiop asdfhjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuio asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
- qwertyuop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm
Over on the subreddit copypasta, somebody prompted the community to come up with a song about this gibberish string of keyboard characters.
One of the refrains go something like this:
“because it’s the qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm song
so now let’s all sing along to the qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm song
if u can sing along to the qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm song then we shall go faster”
A Moral Plea
Over on the Dank Memes subreddit, somebody employed the Lisa Simpson presentation meme to call out individuals who defame moderators.
A True Fiend
Here’s a funny one. We’re not exactly sure why the Reddit user titled his post the way he did, but the three-panel cartoon strip is pretty funny.
This is one of the stranger memes that we’ve encountered. Urban Dictionary has a pretty comprehensive examination of its origins. A lot of people submitted their own definitions regarding its meaning.
One of the more nuanced explanation comes from a user called Kaiser291 who says that this curious string of characters occurs when somebody is in their cubicle and is bored to death and then decides to type this string into Google to see what appears. Or maybe if somebody is literally bored to death they may face plant onto the keyboard and produce this confounding string of meaningless, gibberish characters.
Another use your agreed, saying that it’s a mysterious coincidence and generally occurs when typists are so staggeringly bored at work that they begin typing out the characters on the keyboard left to right in two different search engines like Internet Explorer, Yahoo and Google.
Another user who is presumably a student said that this string of characters occurs when a student is meant to be typing a homework assignment or research paper that’s a big part of their grade. They are so bored and annoyed having to do the chore that they type this string of characters out in frustration.
A more technical and computer savvy person said that this phenomenon will always occur for data entry keyboards with the QWERTY layout (hence the name ‘QWERTY keyboards’). Until that day that keyboard layouts are changed, this string of characters will be the ubiquitous expression of computer typist boredom forever.
Another user said that it’s not just about being bored, there are some people who are so highly skilled at procrastination that this is the song of their people, in essence.